Day 2 of Week 7 of The Art & Science of Drawing is all about the line of termination.
Line of Termination
- the boundary where light ends and shadow begins
- separates the lights from the darks
- turning edge
Light & Form
Any shadow condition that occurs on the object itself.
Shadow created by the form by blocking the light from hitting the adjacent surfaces.
Light or Shadow?
- any plane hit with direct light is considered in light
- any plane not hit with direct light is considered in shadow
First Steps in Shading
- finding the line of termination
- draw it lightly
- fill in the shadow side of the subject with a uniform No. 3 value
- find a sphere, a cube & a cylinder
- or use some images of real objects
- find a directional light
- a simple desk lamp will do
- practice lighting your subjects
- experiment with & observe the effect of light on your subjects
- do a simple drawing of each object lit by a single, directional light source
- draw lightly the line of termination
- fill the shadow side of the object with a value No. 3